The Faculty of Information & Communication Studies (FICS) is committed to advancing scholarship in information and communication studies in Southeast Asia by spearheading the evolution of an integrated information and communication science; developing innovative information and communication programs; trail blazing in research exploring the social impact of information and communication technology; piloting innovative applications of information and communication technologies through a proactive extension program that would cater to the needs of the development assistance sector. The FICS was organized in 2004 as one of the degree granting units of the UP open University. It evolved from the combined Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities (FSSH) and Faculty of Science and Technology (FST). Its core functions are instruction, research and development; and extension/community service.
Currently, the FICS has undergraduate () and graduate (, , , ) programs with about 1,100 students and 11 full-time and 21 affiliate and adjunct faculty members. All programs are taught entirely online or in a hybrid format.
Job Openings: Announcement of Cluster Hiring
- Flexible work hours
- Opportunities to be trained abroad
- Supportive leaders and colleagues
- A collegial atmosphere
- Opportunities for securing equipment, research grants, travel grants for your research, creative, teaching, and public service projects
- Opportunities to collaborations with specialists from different fields
We are excited to field applications from candidates with a background in any the following fields and disciplines:
- Computing science (preferably but not necessarily with a specialization in artificial intelligence, data science, statistics, cybersecurity, network architecture, computing hardware, human-computer interaction, or user interface and user experience design)
- Creative arts, design, digital humanities, and media production (preferably but not necessarily with a specialization or background in 3D modeling, extended reality application development, physical computing, wearable technology, interactive performance, immersive environments, performance and movement studies, speculative design, innovation strategy, or futures studies)
- Media studies and related areas (including but not limited to media anthropology, cultural studies, psychology, performance studies, and media sociology)
- Development communication (preferably but not necessarily with a specialization in science communication)
Faculty applications: We will be hiring on a rolling basis; applications will be reviewed biweekly. The call will remain open as long as openings have not been filled. Preferred start date for faculty positions is 1 August 2022 (negotiable).
Research Assistant applications: The deadline for the application is 15 June 2022. Preferred start date for the position 1 July 2022 (negotiable).
Questions about these positions can be directed at the Dean of the FICS, Dr. Diego Maranan ([email protected]).